When trying to understand or explain a process creating text descriptions and flowcharts are quite helpful as they make you think in detail about a process and make you think sequentially.
Text descriptions allow you to list the steps for a process in as much detail as you need
e.g. How to make toast
- Connect the toaster into a power point and turn it on
- Set the the toaster to your desired setting
- Take 1 or 2 slices of bread and insert into each of the slots on the toaster
- Pull down the lever underneath the slots in which you inserted the toast
- Wait for the toast to pop out of the slots
- Check the toast to see if it is to your likings and either discard the toast, toast again or continue to the next step
- Take the toast out of the toaster and add desired toppings
Before making a flow chart it is best to write out a text description so that you have a reference of all necessary steps. A flow chart can help you communicate a process and it can also help you identify any issues or loops in your instructions.
How to make toast (2 slice toaster)